Barley water is one of the top natural health drinks. There are multiple health benefits of barley water. It contains soluble fiber, vitamins, essential minerals like calcium and iron, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that reduce the risk of heart diseases. This is an elixir to good health. You can make it by boiling the barley, straining the grains, and preserving the water. It is a traditional drink consumed to help lose weight, flush out toxins, and keeps the body cool. It helps cure Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).
All There’s To Know About Barley Water
Barley is one of the major cereal grains in the world. It was first cultivated in the temperate Eurasian region about 10,000 years ago. It is widely used in bread, soups and nutritious drinks. In this article, we shall talk more about the health benefits of barley water. Here’s why it’s good for you
- What is barley
- What is barley water
- Why is barley water good for you
- Steps to make barley water
- Side effects
What is Barley?
Barley (Hordeum Vulgare) is one of the most consumed grains throughout the world. It grows in the temperate regions of the world. It is found in many cuisines in the form of bread, soups or stews, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Although barley is not a staple food of America with its discovery, more and more people are starting to include barley in their diet. They resemble rice in appearance, white but it is more glutinous and chewy.
Dehulled barley is the barley that is used after removing the inedible outer husk. Dehulled barley still contains the bran and is therefore still healthy. Pearl barley is obtained after steaming the barley to remove the bran. The polishing of the grain to get a shinier look, like a pearl, is what gives the pearl barley its name.
What is barley water?
Barley water is the water that is used to boil barley. The water that is left after boiling and straining is fit for consumption. It is a healthy drink. Barley water contains minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that help in lowering cholesterol, controlling blood sugar, improving digestion, helps in weight loss, and boosts the immunity system. It is a refreshing, & cooling drink.
The drink is milky white. Barley water, before straining, has a high-calorie content of over 700 calories but it’s low in fat. You shouldn’t have more than two servings of unstrained barley water because of the high-calorie content. When barley water is strained or made into a tea it has comparatively fewer calories but also lesser fiber.
Barley water has no taste of its own therefore additional flavors are added. Add lemon juice or orange juice for a tangy flavor. To sweeten it up, mix honey or sugar.
Read More: Best Home Treadmills 2020
Why is Barley Water Good for You
Barley Water has many health benefits. Due to the high content of nutrients in barley, the barley water retains the qualities even after the barley has been removed from the concoction. Barley water made out of 200 gms of barley has 704 calories out of which 19 come out of fat. More than half of the calorie content comprises of complex carbohydrates. The water also contains 20 gm of protein and 2 gm of sugar. The high fiber content gives a feeling of the stomach being full, and thus aids those who are trying to lose weight. Let’s have a look at all the reason why you should add barley water to your diet
- The presence of soluble fiber in barley makes barley water good for bowel movements.
- The high fibrous content makes it a helpful supplement in weight loss. It makes you feel full and controls the eating urges.
- Drinking barley water helps remedy Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- It reduces the chances of kidney stones.
- Pregnant women should drink barley water, as it eases morning sickness.
- Barley water stimulates metabolism.
- Immunity improves.
- It has anti-cancerous properties.
- Calcium, Copper, and Phosphorus help in strengthening bones.
- Drinking unsweetened barley water controls the blood sugar spike and helps in keeping the sugar level under control.
- It lowers the chances of anemia.
- Barley water helps lower high blood pressure.
- It prevents atherosclerosis. A condition in which the arterial walls thickens and hampers the flow of blood. This may lead to cardiovascular disease.
- It lowers cholesterol.
- It has anti-aging properties.
- It flushes out harmful toxins and gives a clear skin.
That is quite a list. Has it convinced you why you should start having barley water? If yes then read on.
How to Make Barley Water
Barley water is very easy to make. Use pearl barley that is available in stores and supermarkets to make barley water Easy, right? So let’s start
- To make 6 cups of barley water, you’ll need 3/4th cups of pearl barley.
- Rinse the pearl barley for a minute under running water.
- Put 7 cups of water and the rinsed pearl barley
- On medium heat, bring the moisture to boil.
- To add flavor to the barley water, you can add orange rinds before bringing it to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and discard the barley.
- You can add orange juice and honey to the strained barley water for added flavor.
- Refrigerate the remaining barley water for later use.
You can also add ginger and cinnamon instead of orange rinds and orange juice for a different taste. For a savory taste, add salt and lemon juice to it.
Don’t throw away the leftover barley. You can add it to soups and stews to thicken them. It is an alternative to muesli or porridge. You can blend the barley with fruits to make a smoothie. Add it to salads for a different texture.
Barley water is nutritious, this doesn’t mean you have it unconditionally. There are risks to over-consumption of barley water and it may not be for everybody. These are some of the side effects of barley water
- Processed or packaged barley water may contain high amounts of sugar and preservatives.
- Drinking a high amount of barley water can cause constipation or stools because of the high fibrous contents.
- One serving of barley water has the same number of calories as that of a full meal, so make sure to not have much in one go.
- Barley has gluten in it and people who are gluten intolerant or are on a gluten-free diet should avoid barley water.
Barley water does not pose serious health issues. Have it in moderate amounts.
Q. Can I have barley water daily?
Ans. Barley water is high in calories, it is equivalent to a full meal. You should have barley water in a small amount. Two servings per day are sufficient. Higher amounts of barley water cause constipation.
Q. Is barley gluten-free?
Ans. No. Barley is high on gluten. People who are gluten intolerant or on a gluten-free diet should avoid barley water.
Q. Is barley water good for kidney?
Ans. Regular barley water consumption is good for kidney stones. It inhibits their growth.
Q. Can pregnant women have barley water?
Ans. Barley eases morning sickness. Have a moderate amount. Bacteria present in bad barley stock causes illness. Pregnant women, children, and old people should have it with caution.
Q. Does barley water reduce body heat?
Ans. Barley water is a cooling agent and helps reduce body heat. It has been a traditional summer drink in many parts of the world.
Barley has been used for centuries in different parts of the world. It is among the 4th highest cultivated food crops after maize, rice, and wheat. Barley is used in different cuisines of the world. It is one of the most nutritious food. Barley water retains all the nutrient properties. There are several health benefits of barley water. It is a great remedy for weight loss, UTIs, kidney stones, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. It’s a good time you should start having a small portion of barley water to boost your immunity. People with an aversion to gluten should stay away from barley products.
Do follow for more details and information of healthy lifestyles @www.familyliving.guide